Since the weather in autumn can be very indulgent, and if you’re lucky enough, temperatures in Tuscany will vary between 8 and 20°C and full sunny beautiful fall days, coloring the air with a spectacular foliage this year, we have decided to convince you that a different and certainly out-of season way to go out and about through Tuscany is by bike!
Once upon a time, cycling…
One of the most interesting cycling events in Tuscany is organized by Terre di Siena, and it’s a beautiful historical race, where people cycle up and down the hills of Chianti, Val d’Orcia and Crete Senesi, with old vintage bikes, wearing old stile clothes and enjoying one of the most untouched landscapes of Tuscany.
Grab your bike and start riding
Whether you are a cycling pro, an amateur, or just somebody that would like to pedal calmly while enjoying the beauty of the region, Tuscany offers so many opportunities and itineraries you only have to pick up yours!
Just have a look to our little pieces of advice, and start cycling around Tuscany:
- Decide where and how, before leaving: are you about cycling on paved roads or mountain biking? Of course it isn’t the same… be careful on your choice if you’re not an enthusiast of going up and down, as Tuscany is a hilly territory. If you’re not so fit, choose the plains, which are mostly along the rivers, the coasts or in the town center.
- Not to be repetitive, but we want to be sure you got the concept: Tuscany is truly a hilly territory, for cycling fans, this means putting yourself to the test on the same hills and slopes many cycling legends trained, including Bartali, Cipollini and Bettini. But if you’re not so into the cycling thing, please rent your city bike and enjoy the city center!
- Meet the bike crew! Tuscany is a land of bikers and cyclists, wherever you go pedal you will be surrounded by many people with your same passion. It will be wonderful to meet new friends and to share the experience. Did you know that the cycling community is based on mutual help? If you find yourself in trouble you will be able to count on the other cyclist’s solidarity. When you find yourself in the middle of the Maremma with a blown out tube, with no mobile and far away from home, you will be thankful to be “saved” by other cyclists. The thing is, next time you will return the favor to other mates!
- There is no r-month rule, as for oysters eating, to remember when is the best period to go cycling through Tuscany. Just think of Spring and Autumn, so March, April, May, June, September, October and, this year, November. So, what are you waiting for? Inflate your tire and jump on the saddle!
- Your mobile phone is your friend, don’t turn it into a stressful enemy. Take advantage of all the technology tips, apps and devices and use them to discover itineraries and routes, to find the bike renting spots and to communicate with your friends. Don’t remember though to try to forget it for a while. While riding your bike through the Chianti hills, or into the Maremma woods, try and be just yourself, with your bike and the nature surrounding you. Feel your breath, the fresh November breeze on your face while going down a hill, discover the pleasure to be immersed into the landscape… and once at destination, snap a picture an look for the nearest good restaurant for the deserved typical Tuscan dinner, after all the biking effort!
So are you ready, steady and… good biking! Enjoy this extraordinarily sunny autumn in Tuscany.